Title and statement of responsibility area
Musquodoboit Harbour Parish
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1972-2002] (Creation)
- Stevens, Robert Kim, 1941-
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Robert Kim Stevens was born March 20, 1941 in Alexandria, Virginia, and lived near Fort Hunt, Virginia. He attended Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio from 1958 to 1962, and after graduating travelled by foot to the Panama Canal. Stevens lived in Washington, D.C. for a year before enrolling as a graduate student at the University of Barcelona, Spain for the 1963-1964 term. Later, he attended Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, also as a graduate student. In 1965, Stevens married Revalee Renick, with whom he had two children.
Around 1965, Stevens joined the United States Department of State as a Foreign Service Officer, which led him to move first to La Paz, Bolivia and then to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In 1972, Stevens returned to the Washington, D.C. area, and lived there until 1977, when he moved to Rome, Italy. In 1989, he returned again to Washington, and then lived again in Rome from 1992 to 1995 before retiring in 1996. In 2002, Stevens moved to San Pedro, California.
Stevens’ interest in the history and genealogy of the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia began around 1972, when he began researching his ancestry, and learned that he had ancestors there. His paternal grandfather, Robert Nelson Stevens (1880-1944), was born in Musquodoboit Harbour, Halifax County, Nova Scotia and immigrated to New England in 1904. Stevens began contacting and collaborating with other Stevens family researchers and in 1977 produced the book, The Stevens Families of Nova Scotia with C.J. Stevens (first published 1979). After moving to Rome, Stevens continued researching via correspondence and other means, and produced some local books under the general title North American Records in Italy. In the winter of 1985-1986, he began working on what would eventually become the Eastern Shore Families series of books (1998-). In 2002 Stevens began corresponding with the Lake Charlotte Area Heritage Society and in 2003 agreed the society’s archives would receive his archival and research material and also publish his Eastern Shore Families books, with all proceeds from the sales remaining with the society.
Scope and content
Series includes microfilm records documenting baptisms, marriages, burials, and church minutes from churches within the parish ca. 1893-1980. Parish churches include St. Thomas (Musquodoboit Harbour), St. James (Head of Jeddore), and St. George’s (Ostrea Lake).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No copies allowed without permission from the rector. Apply at NSA.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
On January 2, 1899, the Anglican Parish of St. Thomas, known as the Parish of Musquodoboit, was constituted, with Rev. Sidney H. Morgan serving as its first rector. The Parish included St. Thomas (Musquodoboit Harbour), St. James (Head of Jeddore) and St. George's (Ostrea Lake). In 1906, Holy Trinity in East Petpeswick was consecrated and joined the parish. St. George's was deconsecrated in 2007 after failing attendance and diminished congregational support meant that the maintenance of the church was no longer feasible. After attempts to sell the church fell through, it was dismantled in 2009. It had opened its doors in 1884. In 2010, in the face of financial struggles in Ship Harbour Parish and an abundance of clergy leaders in Musquodoboit, the two parishes decided to unite and today operate as the Anglican Parishes of Ship Harbour and Musquodoboit. Their churches include St Thomas (Musquodoboit Harbour), St James (Head of Jeddore), St John's (Oyster Pond), St Stephen's (Ship Harbour), and St Matthew's (Owl's Head).
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Parish of Musquodoboit. Season of Pentecost July-August- September 2012: Historical Corner: Parish of Ship Harbour. Retrieved Feb. 5, 2017 from http://parishofmusquodoboit.ca/?paged=4
Parish of Musquodoboit. Shared Ministry of the Anglican Churches of Ship Harbour and Musquodoboit: Our Story. Retrieved Feb. 5, 2017 from http://parishofmusquodoboit.ca/?page_id=13
Parish of Musquodoboit. Shared Ministry of the Anglican Churches of Ship Harbour and Musquodoboit: St George's Church 1884-2007. Retrieved Feb. 5, 2017 from http://parishofmusquodoboit.ca/?page_id=14