No. 2 Canadian Army University Course

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

No. 2 Canadian Army University Course

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

1900.560-AUC, 2007.072-CAU

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1944 - 1988 (Creation)
    Creator
    No. 2 Canadian Army University Course

Physical description area

Physical description

1 folder of textual records
3 folders of graphic materials
1 object
1 publication

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1943-1944)

Administrative history

The Canadian Army University Training Course was developed to fill a need for trained officers and technical specialists during the Second World War. A partnership between the army and Canadian Universities sought to give high achieving high school students the first year of a university engineering program, combined with basic army training, in order to create a qualified pool of potential officers and technicians from which they could draw.

The program ran for two years--first as a pilot program of 160 students in 1942-1943 at the University of Toronto (No. 1 C.A.U.C.) , and then expanding to 1,300 students at 11 other universities, including 70 at Acadia, for the 1943-1944 year (No. 2 C.A.U.C.). In the end, this initiative resulted in an overproduction of qualified officers, leading the program to disband at the end of 1944. Most of the graduates went on to further officer training, and also served in infantry, armoured units, and technical trades positions overseas.

At Acadia, C.A.U.C. students were first housed in the War Memorial Gym, and then moved into the “new barracks” (the basement of the eventual War Memorial House, or Barrax) for second term. C.A.U.C. members fully integrated into Acadia campus life, participating in Interclass and Intercollegiate debating, Intermediate and Varsity Football teams, the Amateur skit show, the swimming meet, skiing, skating, and Interclass and Varsity hockey.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Some records available digitally.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Records subject to the Copyright Act.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area