Title and statement of responsibility area
Nova Scotia County Court, District Four (Colchester County) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
63 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The legislation establishing the Nova Scotia County Courts was passed in 1874, although the courts did not come into operation until the Act was proclaimed in August 1876. The Act divided the province into judicial districts, each presided over by a federally appointed judge. Colchester County and Hants County were combined to form District Four. The new Nova Scotia County Courts divested the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia of some of its original civil jurisdiction, which it had exclusively exercised since the statutory abolition, in 1841, of the Inferior Courts of Common Pleas (county/district/township). The County Courts heard actions for debt not exceeding $400, tort actions for damages not exceeding $200, and appeals from the summary judgments of magistrates. In 1889, pursuant to the federal Speedy Trials Act, the Nova Scotia government also conferred a limited criminal jurisdiction on County Court judges with an act establishing County Judges' Criminal Courts (later County Court Judges' Criminal Courts), subject to a right of appeal to the Supreme Court.
Custodial history is unknown.
Scope and content
Some spines are broken.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Boxes 1 CB and 2CB 90.1-5 (1 CB); 90.6-7, 9-11 (2CB), 90.8 - oversized, stored seperately in stacks room.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Previously known as Colchester County Court House series.