Fonds - Nova Scotia County Court, District Three (Annapolis County) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nova Scotia County Court, District Three (Annapolis County) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1874-)

Administrative history

The legislation establishing the Nova Scotia County Courts was passed in 1874, although the courts did not come into operation until the Act was proclaimed in August 1876. The Act divided the province into judicial districts, each presided over by a federally appointed judge. Annapolis County formed District Three. The new Nova Scotia County Courts divested the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia of some of its original civil jurisdiction, which it had exclusively exercised since the statutory abolition, in 1841, of the Inferior Courts of Common Pleas county/district/township. The County Courts heard actions for debt not exceeding $400, tort actions for damages not exceeding $200, and appeals from the summary judgments of magistrates. In 1889, pursuant to the federal Speedy Trials Act, the Nova Scotia government also conferred a limited criminal jurisdiction on County Court judges with an act establishing County Judges' Criminal Courts (later County Court Judges' Criminal Courts), subject to a right of appeal to the Supreme Court.

Custodial history

Book was found in the former home of Steven Sneden Ruggels, Bridgetown, and donated to the Society.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of one Praecipe Book kept by the High Sheriff, who at this time was J.H. Edwards. The register recorded the case number, plaintiff and defendant's name, judgement, notes of monies received/paid and warrants/writs issued.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

94.20.02, MG100 vol. 2 172.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres