Nova Scotia Department of Highways and Public Works

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Nova Scotia Department of Highways and Public Works

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1939-1955

History

The Department of Highways was established in 1918 to assume responsibility for highways and bridges, other than construction and maintenance, and to act as liaison between the arm's-length Provincial Highway Board and the Cabinet. In 1926 the board was abolished and the department assumed full responsibility for building and maintaining highways and roads, as well as for supervising, managing and controlling their traffic and general use. From 1926 to 1941 the department was also responsible for tourism. In 1939 the Department of Public Works and Mines was broken up and responsibility for public buildings and government property and equipment transferred to the Department of Highways, which was renamed Department of Highways and Public Works. In 1955 the department relinquished responsibility for public works and resumed the name Department of Highways.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2016-04-25 Authority added from Government Administrative Histories online

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Notes: Authority record based on Statutes of Nova Scotia: 1926 c. 31, 1935 c. 3, 1939 c. 56, 1944 c. 2, 1946 c. 2, 1955 c. 41,

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places