Nova Scotia Hospital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nova Scotia Hospital fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1859-1958 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nova Scotia Hospital

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 6.1 m of textual records
  • 63 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1856-)

Administrative history

Construction of the Nova Scotia Hospital began in 1856, and the hospital opened its doors in December 1857. An Act for the Management of the Hospital for the Insane, passed in 1858, outlined the hospital's objective of providing humane and enlightened curative treatment for the mentally incompetent. The lieutenant-governor was empowered to appoint a board of commissioners to supervise the hospital's expenditures and general operations, and a medical superintendent to act as the hospital's chief executive officer. Established as the Provincial Hospital for the Insane in 1858, the hospital was also referred to as the Nova Scotia Hospital for the Insane until February 1901, when the hospital's name was legally established as Nova Scotia Hospital. Because the hospital was located in the Mount Hope area of Dartmouth, it was popularly known for many years as the Mount Hope Lunatic Asylum. The hospital operated under the jurisdiction of the board of commissioners until 1861, when it was placed under the Board of Works. In 1878 the hospital was transferred to the control of the Board of Commissioners of Public Charities and in 1931 to the Nova Scotia Department of Public Health. On 1 January 2001 the Health Authorities Act came into force and the Nova Scotia Hospital lost its status as a public body. The former Nova Scotia Hospital became the Mental Health Program of the new metropolitan Capital District Health Authority.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Most records transferred from the Nova Scotia Hospital ca. 1980.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access restrictions apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available.

Associated materials

Related records may be found in 106 Nova Scotia Department of Public Works and Mines fonds トNova Scotia Hospital records series.

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Annual reports (including those of the Medical Superintendent) and by-laws of the hospital are available in the NSARM Library. A published hospital history, Nova Scotia Hospital: 125 Anniversary, 1858-1983, is available and a manuscript Nova Scotia Hospital History is found in RG 25 'NS' v. 48, no. 19.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres