Forme autorisée du nom
Nova Scotia. Registry of Deeds
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
Although entries in the Halifax deed books were made as early as 1749, the Registry of Deeds was not established until February 3, 1752, when an Order in Council required the registration of all deeds, memorials of deeds, conveyances, and mortgages pertaining to land with the Registrar in Halifax. As additional counties were created, registrars, with a degree of independence, were appointed in each county. From 1787 to 1847, the Provincial Secretary acted as the Registrar of Deeds with Deputy Registrars and offices in each of the counties and districts. Subsequently, each county and district office had its own Registrar of Deeds, although general responsibility for the registries remained with the Provincial Secretary. On January 22, 1991 an Order in Council (91-73) brought the registries and their staff into the civil service as part of the Courts and Registries Division of the Department of the Attorney General. On April 12, 1994 responsibility was transferred by Order in Council (94-292) to the Department of Municipal Affairs, later known as Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations.