Nova Scotia Sanatorium fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nova Scotia Sanatorium fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Sound recording
  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1903-1994 (Creation)
    Nova Scotia Sanatorium

Physical description area

Physical description

5 boxes of textual records
1 box of photographs
1 sound recording
15 objects

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1904 -1975)

Administrative history

“In 1898-99, Dr. DeWitt connected the first two houses by a glassed-in solarium and established “Highland View Sanatorium,” Nova Scotia’s only tuberculosis hospital prior to the building of the N.S.Sanatorium in Kentville in 1910” (Streets of Wolfville by Dr. Kirkconnell, p. 12).
The Nova Scotia Sanatorium was established in 1904 under Medical Superintendent Dr. Arthur Frederick Miller (1877-1965, retired 1947). The hospital began 18 beds but, over time, grew to 20 buildings with 400 beds. Between 1910 and 1916, Dr. Miller was the only doctor on staff. In 1916, the hospital accepted 100 tuberculosis solders. An additional 100 soldiers were accepted in 1917. The nurses residence was build soon after. Several more buildings were erected until 1932, when the final building, being the New Infirmary, was opened. Dr. Vernon D. Schaffner (1904-1972) came on staff in 1934. With the addition of Dr. Edward William Archibald and Dr. Norman Bethune, a surgical program began in conjunction with the Eastern Kings Memorial Hospital as surgeries were not done at the Sanatorium until 1936. Dr. J. Earle Hiltz (1909-1969) arrived in 1935, becoming the Medical Superintendent in 1947 after Dr. Miller retired. New staff came to the hospital in 1941, including Dr. J.J. Quinlan (retired 1982), and again through the years 1944 to 1947. As tuberculosis became less prevalent and as different methods of treatment were discovered, the hospital became used less. During the 1950s, the staff were encouraged to become knowledgeable about other chest and
respiratory diseases. After Dr. Hiltz died, Dr. Helen M. Holden (1915-1994; who later married Dr. J.J. Quinlan) became the Acting Medical Superintendent and later the first Medical Director. The Sanatorium hospital ceased to exist in 1975, when it was amalgamated with the Blanchard-Fraser Memorial Hospital and became known as the Miller Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. Over time, many of the original buildings were torn down; the last one being in 2003.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of administrative, historical, and patient-generated records relating to the Nova Scotia Sanatorium throughout its existence.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Digital records not yet available.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Records subject to the Copyright Act.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area


Accession area