Nova Scotia Sanatorium fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Nova Scotia Sanatorium fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel
  • Document iconographique
  • Document sonore
  • Objet

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

2004.032-SAN

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1903-1994 (Production)
    Producteur
    Nova Scotia Sanatorium

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

5 boxes of textual records
1 box of photographs
1 sound recording
15 objects

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1904 -1975)

Histoire administrative

“In 1898-99, Dr. DeWitt connected the first two houses by a glassed-in solarium and established “Highland View Sanatorium,” Nova Scotia’s only tuberculosis hospital prior to the building of the N.S.Sanatorium in Kentville in 1910” (Streets of Wolfville by Dr. Kirkconnell, p. 12).
The Nova Scotia Sanatorium was established in 1904 under Medical Superintendent Dr. Arthur Frederick Miller (1877-1965, retired 1947). The hospital began 18 beds but, over time, grew to 20 buildings with 400 beds. Between 1910 and 1916, Dr. Miller was the only doctor on staff. In 1916, the hospital accepted 100 tuberculosis solders. An additional 100 soldiers were accepted in 1917. The nurses residence was build soon after. Several more buildings were erected until 1932, when the final building, being the New Infirmary, was opened. Dr. Vernon D. Schaffner (1904-1972) came on staff in 1934. With the addition of Dr. Edward William Archibald and Dr. Norman Bethune, a surgical program began in conjunction with the Eastern Kings Memorial Hospital as surgeries were not done at the Sanatorium until 1936. Dr. J. Earle Hiltz (1909-1969) arrived in 1935, becoming the Medical Superintendent in 1947 after Dr. Miller retired. New staff came to the hospital in 1941, including Dr. J.J. Quinlan (retired 1982), and again through the years 1944 to 1947. As tuberculosis became less prevalent and as different methods of treatment were discovered, the hospital became used less. During the 1950s, the staff were encouraged to become knowledgeable about other chest and
respiratory diseases. After Dr. Hiltz died, Dr. Helen M. Holden (1915-1994; who later married Dr. J.J. Quinlan) became the Acting Medical Superintendent and later the first Medical Director. The Sanatorium hospital ceased to exist in 1975, when it was amalgamated with the Blanchard-Fraser Memorial Hospital and became known as the Miller Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. Over time, many of the original buildings were torn down; the last one being in 2003.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

The fonds consists of administrative, historical, and patient-generated records relating to the Nova Scotia Sanatorium throughout its existence.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Digital records not yet available.

Restrictions d'accès

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Records subject to the Copyright Act.

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Sources

Zone des entrées