Saint Mary's University Patrick Power Library fonds : [1999 accrual]

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Saint Mary's University Patrick Power Library fonds : [1999 accrual]

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1938- (Creation)
    Patrick Power Library (Halifax, N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 1.74 m of textual records (5 boxes)
  • 1.3 m of graphic material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The library at Saint Mary's University was originally founded in 1903 as part of St. Mary's College and was mostly likely located on the Windsor Street campus, the site of the College from 1903-1951. It was known as the St. Mary's College Library, or commonly the Student's Library. In 1951 a new library was established on the Robie Street campus, known as the E.H. Horne Memorial Library. In 1965 the Library again moved to a new building and was renamed the Bishop Burke Library, often called the Burke Library. The Library outgrew the Burke Library and it moved again in 1976 to a new building. At this time the Library was given its present name, the Patrick Power Library. Presently, the Library reports to the Vice-President Academic and Research. Throughout its history the Library has also been administered by numerous internal departments which have undergone various changes since the Library's conception.

Custodial history

Files marked "cabinet" were stored in the Rare Book Room cabinet until the early 1990s. Other materials were solicited from library staff during the 1990s. Most records prior to 1970 were retained by the previous administrations and are held in their collections.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of the Library at Saint Mary's University.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Records were received in no apparent order. Chronological order and arrangement has been imposed by the archivist.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related records can be found on Novanet. Refer to Novanet for call numbers. Related photographs can be found in the Photograph Collection: 97.04.0017-97.04.0023, 97.04.0026, 97.04.0029-97.04.0057, 98.04.0986, 98.04.0987, 99.04.1022-99.04.1091, 99.04.1093-99.04.1096, 99.03.0300-99.04.0318, 99.03.0320, 99.03.0402, 99.03.0403. Refer to the in-house Photograph Database for specific information. Related records can also be found in the Saint Mary's University Faculty of Arts fonds, Dean of Arts sous-fonds and the Saint Mary's University Senate fonds.


General note

Architectural plans of the Bishop Burke Library and the Patrick Power Library are included with the sous-fonds.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area


Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres