Presbyterian Church

Elements area

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

    Source note(s)

      Display note(s)

        Hierarchical terms

        Presbyterian Church

          Equivalent terms

          Presbyterian Church

            Associated terms

            Presbyterian Church

              14 Archival description results for Presbyterian Church

              14 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
              Fonds · 1887-1921
              Fonds consists of two ledgers and one register. The ledgers record weekly collections, money disbursed and members of the congregation. The register records members of the congregation and important dates within the church, such as marriages and deaths. Miscellaneous papers include special event programs, a financial statement, an annual report and a fire insurance document.
              Collection · [ca. 1972-2002]
              Collection consists of copies and transcriptions of records from various churches and parishes that were located on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia or which were used by Eastern Shore residents. The collection contains baptismal, marriage, burial, and confirmation records along with other church records, dating from 1752 to 1982. Some records are on microfilm or have been copied from microfilm, while others are typed or handwritten transcriptions of records. 2003.010, 2004.008, 2011.024
              Fonds · [ca. 1870]-1962
              Fonds consists of correspondence written to Walter, Hannah, and Laura Stoddard as well as records related to churches and church societies and memorabilia related to the First World War that was found in the Stoddard Hotel. Fonds also contains financial records including insurance policies and tax receipts as well as post office records including ledgers of records of registered mail. Remaining records include permits, dance step instructions, quilt patterns, paintings by Harold Brownhill, a poem by Burns Marks, a label from E. Homan’s clam cannery, a brochure for a Camp Charlotte, a sign erected by the Cranberry Committee, and a business card and photograph of Judge F. M. Morson. Accession number 2013.010
              Item · 1938
              This history is a discrete item and was written by Clare Palmer in 1938 when she was about thirteen years old. It was likely part of a school assignment as there appears to be a comment written by the teacher on the last page. In his or her comment the teacher praises the value of the information provided by Clare and suggests that she donate it to the public archives. This handwritten, handmade history book is based on information provided by Mr. George Marks, Mrs. Bruce Marks, and Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Marks, whose contribution is acknowledged by Clare at the outset of her work. Her history includes chapters on the first settlers, the growth of the settlement, Ship Harbour industries, schools, transportation, churches, food, clothing, and lights; amusements, public buildings, prominent people, nature, and a final chapter that discusses Nichol Island and Wolfe Point as well as the origin of the name “Ship Harbour.” The book includes three hand drawn maps: one of Ship Harbour that features dwellings, G. L Monk’s store and mill, the J. L. factory, and the chapel; a second map depicting early roads in the area in 1863 as well as a ferry; and one small map of Nichol Island. The second last page also includes a photograph of the lighthouse at Wolfe Point on Nichol Island, which is were Clare lived with her family in the lightkeeper’s house. The book also includes two newspaper clippings, one about Daniel Weeks and one about the 50th anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Addington Marks which includes a picture. Accession number: 2013.013
              Religious records
              Series · 1902-1925
              Part of Laura F. Stoddard family fonds
              Series forms part of the Laura F. Stoddard family fonds and consists of a blank pledge card for a Members Associate Pledge likely for the Christian Endeavour Society as well as a certificate stating that William E. Stoddard enlisted in the White Ribbon Army of the N.S.S.S. Association in 1902 at the Sabbath School of the Union Church in Owl’s Head and pledged to abstain from alcohol, tobacco, and profanity. There is also a certificate presented to Robert Burns Williams by the Presbyterian Church of Canada for the memorizing of scripture in 1914 and one presented to Florence Etta Stoddard for reciting the catechism in 1907. Series also includes the communion roll of the Presbyterian Church at Clam Harbour which lists the names of both male and female voters, a pamphlet on the method of taking the vote on church union, and a number of used voter ballots from the vote on church union. There is also one bulletin from the First Baptist Church in Chanston Illinois which mentions a Miss Helen Fisher who attended the Nova Scotia Provincial Normal College. Accession number: 2013.010
              Fonds · 1921-1940
              Fonds consists of sermons written by Rev. Whidden; five notebooks used to record pastoral visits, dates of baptisms, marriages and deaths of parishioners; issues of the church periodical The Expository Times; and photographs of Sharon United Church and Rev. Whidden on the 50th anniversary of his ordination. MG 1, vol. 23.