Prince's Lodge Association collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Prince's Lodge Association collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Accession 2009-029

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1870-1954 (Creation)
    Creator
    Prince's Lodge Association

Physical description area

Physical description


  • 35 leaves of textual records
  • 1 map

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Prince's Lodge Association was apparently founded, perhaps as early as the 1870s, to assist with and promote the preservation of the Prince's Lodge property. The Prince's Lodge was built by Edward, Duke of Kent (father of Queen Victoria) while he commanded the British Army at Halifax from 1794 to 1800. The 500 acre property belonged to the Governor of Nova Scotia, Sir John Wentworth, who had called his country estate “Friar Laurence's Cell.” When Prince Edward returned to England, the Wentworth family resumed occupation of Prince's Lodge, but after Sir John's death it was allowed to decay. In 1870 the property was sold at auction for building lots, but few houses were constructed until after the First World War, a development which accelerated after Second World War. The only structure on the estate surviving from Prince Edward's day is the circular music room or rotunda of 1796, which was taken over in 1959 by the Government of Nova Scotia as a provincial historic building. The Prince's Lodge Association ceased to exist when the remaining property was transferred to the Provincial Government in the 1950s.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Collection consists of correspondence, business records, lot descriptions, a map of the property and deeds relating to the Prince's Lodge property on the Bedford Basin. The contents of the collection document some of the work of the Prince's Lodge Association including the purchase of the property and its subsequent transfer to the Crown.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by T. Peter Sodero of Walker, Dunlop - Barristers & Solicitors in 1995.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres