Ross family fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ross family fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MG 1 volumes 794-795

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1816-1920 (Creation)
    Creator
    Ross (family)

Physical description area

Physical description

34 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Captain William Ross arrived at Sherbrooke, N.S., on 7 August 1816. He was appointed deputy surveyor of lands in 1817 and in 1819 was granted a section of the Sherbrooke grant, which became known as New Ross. He held various offices and acted as chief administrative officer of the New Ross settlement until his death in 1822. He married Mary Williams and they had five children: Mary (born 30 September 1806 in Cork, Ireland), William Henry (born 12 December 1810 at Fort Amsterdam, South Armenia), Edward Irlam (born 3 January 1813 in Sunderland, England), George Lockhart (born 9 September 1815 at Fort Coteau de Lock, Canada), and Charles Henry Lawson (born 2 February 1818 in Sherbrooke, N.S.). The family home in New Ross was known as "Rosebank". Edward Ross assisted his brother George with the family farm and operated a small store. He was appointed justice of the peace in 1838. He died in New Ross in 1894.

Custodial history

The papers were originally found in the attic of "Rosebank" in New Ross and were transferred by the Nova Scotia Museum to the Nova Scotia Archives in 1972.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of correspondence, newspaper clippings, petitions, deeds, and minutes accumulated by Captain William Ross regarding the Ross family and the development of the Sherbrooke military settlement, later called New Ross, 1816-1822. The fonds also contains correspondence and other material relating to property in New Ross and the 75th Battilion Infantry, 1846-1920, and correspondence and diary of Edward Ross relating to business and social activities in New Ross, Halifax, and Lunenburg County, 1835-1891.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Diary of Edward Ross available on Nova Scotia Archives website. Transcripts of diaries covering 1835-1841 available in the Nova Scotia Archives Library F5204.9 R82.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Digital object (External URI) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres