Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité
Scott Paper Company fonds
Dénomination générale des documents
- Document iconographique
- Dessin technique
- Document textuel
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
Niveau de description
Zone de l'édition
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
Zone des dates de production
Zone de description matérielle
4.2 m of textual records. - --18 oversize items; 94 photographs.
Zone de la collection
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Zone de la description archivistique
Nom du producteur
The groundwood pulp mill was built in 1924 by the American Perforated Wrapping (A.P.W.) Company of Albany, New York. The mill was located at the mouth of the West River in Sheet Harbour, Nova Scotia, and its first pulp produced in March of 1925. The first shipment of pulp took place in June 1925, marking the first ocean-going ship to reach Albany, New York, and establishing it as an Atlantic seaport.
In 1933 the company’s name was changed to Halifax Power & Pulp Company, and controlled by Roger Babson interests. It was subsequently sold to Fox Brothers in 1944, and Hearst Enterprises of New York in 1946, but both times the company name was retained.
In 1963 the company was sold to the Fraser Companies, Limited of New Brunswick, and became known as Fraser Companies, Limited, Nova Scotia Division. Finally in 1964 it was sold to the Scott Paper Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and became known as the Scott Paper Company, Sheet Harbour Division. Throughout these changes the operation in Sheet Harbour was helmed by J.S. Donaldson, and after 1967 by C.B. McKenna.
In 1964 the mill had an average production of 100 tons of mechanical groundwood pulp per day, or 30,000 tons annually, consumed 27,000 cords of wood annual, and employed over 100 men in the mill and 100 – 200 more men in the woods on a seasonal basis; these men were unionized via the International Brotherhood of Pulp, Sulphite and Paper Mill Workers, Local 301 (in the mill), and Sheet Harbour Longshoremen’s Association Local No. 1449 (stevedores). Market for the product included the United States, Mexico, South America, England, Italy, Spain, Israel, Korea, and Formosa.
The company had private ownership of 115,000 acres of forested land from which approximately 50% of their wood requirements were cut, the rest purchased from small woodlot owners. Equipment used in the plant included: slasher and barking drums, conveyors, grinders, coarse screens, fine screens, Kamyr wet machines, flash drying equipment, high density press, and balers. Once finished and dried the pulp was formed in 800 pound bales and shipped to the United States where it was used in the manufacture of high quality tissues and towels.
In 1971 the pulp operation suffered significant flood damage; due to this damage and a difficult market in which it was considered fortunate merely to break even, the decision was made to not rehabilitate the plant, and thus pulp and paper operations at Sheet Harbour came to an end.
Historique de la conservation
Records were acquired in three accessions. The first on August 30 1972 (acc. #1972-069) consisted of a company scrapbook, plans, and notes on the company, and was acquired from C.B. McKenna. The second was acquired from Walter Miller, President of Scott Maritimes Pulp Ltd., via Raymond Russel on January 15 1973 (acc.#1973-003). This accession contained correspondence, ledgers, agreements and contracts, and assorted other papers dated 1924 – 1969; the bulk of the fonds was acquired at this time. The final accession came on February 11 1977 via Ann den Ouden on behalf of Scott Maritime, and consisted of assorted papers (acc. #1977-002).
Portée et contenu
The fonds consists of correspondence, financial documents, journals and ledgers, legal documents, photographs, plans, printed material, and reports. This material spans almost 60 years and gives insight into a company which changed hands several times, and also represented an important part of Nova Scotia industry. Through the material one is able to get a complete picture of the process of manufacturing pulp, from acquiring timber and land to machinery and labour used, to exporting the end product; it also demonstrates how business was conducted. Together the fonds demonstrates the organizational structure, management, and operations of the Scott Paper company, and provide insight into business operations in Nova Scotia in the 20th century.
Zone des notes
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
The records have been arranged thematically; and alphabetically within the correspondence series, with order imposed by archivist.
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Note de langue et graphie
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
Most records are open.
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.
Instruments de recherche
No further accruals are expected.
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Scott Paper Co. fonds, MS-4-68, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Zone du numéro normalisé
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
Mots-clés - Genre
Zone du contrôle
This fonds description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.