Ship Harbour Lake Mutual Telephone Company fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ship Harbour Lake Mutual Telephone Company fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Accession number 2009.039

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1955-1974 (Creation)
    Creator
    Ship Harbour Lake Mutual Telephone Company
    Place
    Lake Charlotte (N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

([ca. 1940-1974])

Administrative history

The Ship Harbour Lake Mutual Telephone Company operated the telephone exchange between Ship Harbour and Oyster Pond, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, including Upper Lakeville, Lake Charlotte, Ship Harbour, DeBaies Cove, Owls Head, Little Harbour, Clam Harbour, and Clam Bay. Its area of operation likely reflects the current Lake Charlotte (845) telephone exchange. The company was probably incorporated under the Rural Telephone Act and was administered by a board of directors and three officers, including a president, vice-president and secretary-treasurer. The company was taken over by the Maritime Telephone and Telegraph Company (MT&T) in 1974.

Custodial history

Records may have been kept in the Hosking Store, Oyster Pond, and may have remained there until 1995, when the store was dismantled. At this point, members of the Lake Charlotte Area Heritage Society transferred them to the basement of society member Gordon Hammond’s house in Clam Harbour. In 2003, the records were transferred from Hammond's residence to the Eastern Shore Archives.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of the Ship Harbour Lake Mutual Telephone Company and includes minutes of meetings, records of telephone charges, invoices, and time sheets.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were donated to the Lake Charlotte Area Heritage Society by Mildred Hosking in 1995.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open to researchers without restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory with file list available..

Associated materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area