Title and statement of responsibility area
SMGRC Anglican church records collection
General material designation
- Textual record (microform)
- Textual record (electronic)
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1841- 1982 (Creation)
- St. Mary's Genealogy Research Centre at Sherbrooke Village
Physical description area
7 reels of microfilm; 1 digital file
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The St. Mary's Genealogy Research Centre at Sherbrooke Village was founded in 2011 by a group of community-based genealogists and local historians in response to the need to provide a place to collect, preserve, and share historic records and resources of the St. Mary's municipal area (the western portion of Guysborough County). Included in its holdings are genealogy and archival materials gathered and donated to Sherbrooke Village over many years. The mandate of the SMGRC is to:
–– acquire primary and secondary records which will aid in the research of the genealogical, social, business, and natural history of the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s;
–– preserve and organize archival materials and published materials using the most current standards;
–– provide members and the general public with efficient access to the Research Centre’s holdings through finding aids and other search tools;
–– respond to reference questions and aid researchers in their objective.
Original records were microfilmed and the film is held at the Nova Scotia Archives. Original records either reside with the individual churches or at the Anglican Diocesan Archives, Halifax. Permission was granted by Archbishop Ron Cutler for SMGRC to purchase copies of microfilm from the Nova Scotia Archives in May 2017. The Liscomb Burial Register was supplied in PDF format by the Anglican Diocesan archivist in May 2017.
Scope and content
Collection consists of 7 reels of microfilm; 1 PDF file.
Liscomb Parish: NS Archives reels # 11612, 11613 (Baptisms 1852 – 1920; Marriages 1852 – 1958); Port Dufferin Parish: NS Archives reels # 11778, 11779 (church records 1847 – 1961); Ship Harbour Parish: NS Archives reels # 11874, 11876 (church records 1841 – 1982); Ecum Secum Parish: NS Archives reels # 11352, 11353 (church records 1910 – 1967; account books and vestry minutes (1937 – 1964). Records are incomplete.
Liscomb Burial Register (1868 – 1959).
Prior to 1843 the Municipality of St. Mary’s did not have a Church of England / Anglican clergyman assigned to the area. Visiting missionaries, ministers, and even a bishop occasionally travelled through the area beginning as early as 1822. The first permanent clergyman, Joseph Alexander, arrived on the Eastern Shore as an itinerant catechist in 1843. Alexander, a native of Yorkshire, England, ministered approximately from Beaver Harbour, Halifax County, to Torbay, Guysborough County. Consequently early records pertaining to the Municipality of St. Mary’s are incomplete and scattered. Churches were established as follows: St. James’, Sherbrooke, 1840; St. Thomas’, Indian Harbour Lake, 1854; St. Luke’s, Liscomb, 1857; St. John’s / St. Mary’s, St. Mary’s River, original begun ca 1846 – ca 1927; replaced by new building ca 1927 and consecrated 22 September 1932 as St. John’s (deconsecrated in 2012 and subsequently sold and moved to a nearby site for use as a private dwelling); St. Paul’s, Port Bickerton, 1891; St. Barnabas, Ecum Secum, opened 1887, consecrated 12 May 1889; St. Matthew’s, Marie Joseph, original “English Church” at Fancy’s Point consecrated 13 July 1858, replaced by new church, St. Matthew’s Anglican, Marie Joseph in 1906, deconsecrated 8 December 2004.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Records cannot be reproduced without written permission of the parish rector. No searches of post-1945 records
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available.
Uploaded finding aid
Visiting clergymen recorded events in their home church / parish record books, therefore church records for St. Paul’s and St. George’s Churches in Halifax, as well as Port Dufferin and Ship Harbour, contain entries for people who lived along the Eastern Shore and should be consulted. Parish affiliations have changed over time. The current parishes of Liscomb and Port Bickerton were originally part of the Parish of Port Dufferin (ca 1848); for some years, Port Bickerton and Indian Harbour Lake were aligned with the Parish of Country Harbour (established 1833), so the records of that Parish should be consulted; Ecum Secum Parish was established in 1910; the Parishes of Liscomb and Port Bickerton were joined in 1952.