Society for the Propagation of the Faith records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Society for the Propagation of the Faith records

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1843-1858 (Creation)
    Creator
    Society for the Propagation of the Faith. St. Mary's Cathedral (Halifax, N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records (1 volume)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Society for the Propagation of the Faith is an international charitable society, first established in 1822 at Lyons, France. Its purpose is to assist missionaries and missions through prayer and financial support. The Society for the Propagation of the Faith branch at St. Mary's Cathedral was founded on 22 January 1843. Meetings were held quarterly in the vestry. Subscriptions were collected at public meetings. The funds were used for paying for subscriptions to the Catholic newspaper The Cross. Prominent members were Patrick Power, Michael Tobin, Jr., Bishop William Walsh and Rev. Michael Hannan.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series forms part of St. Mary's Basilica (Halifax, N.S.) fonds and consists of financial records of the Society's chapter at St. Mary's Cathedral in the form of one cash book, arranged chronologically. The Society was an international charitable organization established in 1822 in Lyons, France. The St. Mary's chapter was founded in 1843 and used their funds to subscribe to a new Catholic newslpaper in the area called "The Cross."

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

002-18

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area