Title and statement of responsibility area
St. James Presbyterian Church Sherbrooke fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1837 – 1970, 1980 (Creation)
- St. James Presbyterian Church Sherbrooke
Physical description area
28 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The dissenting congregation of the Presbyterian Church in Sherbrooke was established as an entity on 29 March 1838. Prior to that time, various clergy visited or labored on a part-time basis with services being held in homes or the school. The first church building (meeting house) was erected ca 1820-24. In 1824, Rev. Alexander Lewis was ordained and Sherbrooke received one-quarter of his services. By 1847, there was a need for a new church and in 1852, a building committee was appointed. On 29 September 1855, the Sessions met for the first time in the new church. In 1859, the Secessionist Congregation of Sherbrooke passed a resolution favouring the union of the Free Church with the Presbyterian Church of Nova Scotia. With the establishment of the Historic Sherbrooke Village Restoration in the late 1960s, the church building was included as a part of the restoration but the congregation continued to worship in the building until 27 June 2007, at which time the Sherbrooke Presbyterian congregation was dissolved. The ownership of the building was transferred to the Province of Nova Scotia in 2010. The building is used for weddings, funerals, and special events, as well as being part of the living history museum, and is maintained by Historic Sherbrooke Village.
Records were in the custody of the Presbyterian Church elders until dissolution and transferred to Historic Sherbrooke Village, then placed in St. Mary’s Genealogical Research Centre at Sherbrooke Village.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of meeting minutes, baptism and marriage records, burials, communion rolls, financial reports, etc.
Most of the records are fragile.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Most have been scanned and researchers are requested to make use of the scanned images to assist in preservation of the original records. One of the earliest record books has been transcribed and is available in a WORD document, to aid in digital searching.
Restrictions on access
Births dating less than one hundred years, marriages dating less than seventy-five years, and deaths dating less than fifty years are restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available.