Title and statement of responsibility area
St. John's Anglican Church (Oyster Pond, N.S.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. John's Anglican Church (Oyster Pond, Halifax County, N.S.)
Physical description area
1 folder of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. John’s Anglican Church in Oyster Pond, Halifax County, Nova Scotia was founded in 1866 by the Reverend Robert Jamieson. The church was built by a carpenter named Murchy. In 1910, lightning struck the bell tower, damaging the bell’s clapper. The clapper was transported to Dartmouth by steamship for repairs and was returned three weeks later. Local storekeeper W.M.O. Mitchell (1881-1949) served as church organist for a number of years. Sometime in the late 1930s or early 1940s, the church acquired a hall, formerly an Orangeman’s Hall, which became appropriately known as St. John’s Church Hall. Originally, it was part of the Ship Harbour Parish family of churches.
The history of Ship Harbour (Anglican) Parish (originally Eastern Shore Parish) began in 1821 when Rev. John Burnyeat, a travelling missionary with the Diocese of Nova Scotia, first visited the area in an effort to locate and minister to the isolated members of the Church. The area had been visited before, however, by Bishop Charles Inglis in 1805 during an unofficial visit to East Ship Harbour, where his vessel had stopped for fresh water. During Rev. Burnyeat's visit, he observed that there were seventeen families living in Ship Harbour and he held Divine Service for them in a private home, as there was no church. In 1831, Rev. John Stevenson first came to visit. He had great influence on the people of Ship Harbour, as they still had no resident clergyman, and he encouraged them to erect a church. Each family contributed the costly sum of about four or five pounds, and by 1833 the people of Ship Harbour had completed the building, located near the old cemetery on the east side of the road, just north of the present church. The new church was consecrated by Bishop John Inglis (son of Bishop Charles Inglis) in 1834 during his first regular visit. The church was named St. Stephen's, in honour of Rev. John Stevenson, who had encouraged them to build it. The parish came to include St. Stephen's (Ship Harbour), St. James (Upper Lakeville), St. John's (Oyster Pond), and St. Matthew's (Owl's Head). In 2010, in the face of financial struggles in Ship Harbour Parish and an abundance of clergy leaders in Musquodoboit, the two parishes decided to unite and today operate as the Anglican Parishes of Ship Harbour and Musquodoboit. Their churches include St. John's (Oyster Pond), St. Thomas (Musquodoboit Harbour), St. James (Head of Jeddore), St. Stephen's (Ship Harbour), and St. Matthew's (Owl's Head).
The custodial history of these records is unknown.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of financial records of St. John's Anglican Church, Oyster Pond, N.S., and includes a book listing donations received by the church with the names of the donors, collections information, records of money received from hall rentals, and other income sources. The book also records money paid to the minister and other miscellaneous expenses for the years 1941 to 1943. Some transactions and calculations are also recorded on loose sheets of paper. Also included are receipts from wholesale merchant P.H. Weary for hardware, oil, and other supplies, as well as a 1940 tax notice and receipt from the Municipality of the County of Halifax and a note requesting payment of insurance fees.
Immediate source of acquisition
Records were acquired from an unknown source sometime between 2003 and 2008.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals expected.
Previously titled St. John's Anglican Church (Oyster Pond, N.S.), financial records
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Digital object metadata