St. Mary's Basilica (Halifax, N.S.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Mary's Basilica (Halifax, N.S.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1800-1969 (Creation)
    St. Mary's Basilica (Halifax, N.S.: Catholic)

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 3.4 m of textual records
  • 32 architectural drawings
  • 2 cartographic materials

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

St. Mary's Basilica is the main church of the Archdiocese of Halifax, NS, Canada. It is part of the Roman Catholic Church, a world-wide religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ, whose leader is the Pope in Rome. It was founded in 1784 and given the name St. Peter's Church shortly after the repeal of Catholic penal laws allowed Catholics freedom of worship in Nova Scotia. In 1829 this wooden church was replaced by a stone cathedral and the name was changed to St. Mary's Cathedral. In 1950, St. Mary's Cathedral was elevated to the status of a minor basilica. In 1997, it was recognized as a national historic site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. In addition to being the parish for a community of Irish Catholic immigrants, St. Mary's Basilica also functioned as the headquarters for the Catholic Church in Nova Scotia in its early history. The first resident priest was Rev. Edmund Burke, sent to Halifax in 1801 by the Archbishop of Quebec to lead the faithful Catholics of Nova Scotia. Rev. Burke began to keep records of the activities of this Church, including its finances, minutes of meetings, and who received the sacraments of baptism, marriage and burial.

Financial support for the priests' living and working expenses was provided through contributions made upon the receipt of a sacrament or service such as baptism, or sick call visits (stole fees). These contributions were carefully recorded. In 1843, the parish formed a committee, raised funds, and built a new cemetery and chapel called the Cemetery of the Holy Cross and Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel, under the leadership of Bishop William Walsh. To promote holiness among the people, the priests of St. Mary's Cathedral encouraged Catholics to join a parish club or society. Some societies were social or spiritual in nature such as the Holy Name Society and the St. Mary's and St. Patrick's Temperance Society, while others helped to carry out the work of the Church, like the St. Peter's Singing Society (which became the St. Mary's Cathedral Choir), or the St. Mary's Catechistical Society.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of: Series - Architectural plans and land surveys, Series - Cemetery of the Holy Cross records, Series - Confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel records, Series - Financial records, Series - Holy Name Society of St. Mary's Cathedral records, Series - Metropolitan Chapter of St. Mary's records, Series - Minutes, Series - Parish Bulletins, Series - St. Mary's and St. Patrick's Temperance Society records, Series - St. Mary's Catechistical Society of Halifax records, Series - Sacramental registers, Series - Sermons, Series - Sick call books, Series - Society for the Propagation of the Faith records, Series - Sunday announcement books, Series - St. Peter's Singing Society records, Series - St. Mary's Young Men's Benevolent Society, Series - St. Mary's Cathedral School

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Acquired from St. Mary's Basilica over a number of years. Most were transferred pre-1990. Other transfers occurred in 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, and 2000.


Original order of records was maintained despite multiple accruals because the records are in bound volumes.

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script note

Some records are in Latin.

Location of originals

Retrieval nos.: 994-14, 995-51, 995-93, 995-94, 997-1, 997-3, 999-1, 999-7, 999-12, 999-28, 000-6, 002-18.

Availability of other formats

Sacramental registers available on microfilm at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Family Centres (the Mormons).

Restrictions on access

For records not microfilmed, access is by appointment.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Photocopying for research purposes is not permitted.

Finding aids

Associated materials

See also the various Bishops' papers.

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area


Accession area