St. Mary's Basilica (Halifax, N.S.) fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

St. Mary's Basilica (Halifax, N.S.) fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description



Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production


  • 1800-1969 (Production)
    St. Mary's Basilica (Halifax, N.S.: Catholic)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

  • 3.4 m of textual records
  • 32 architectural drawings
  • 2 cartographic materials

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur


Histoire administrative

St. Mary's Basilica is the main church of the Archdiocese of Halifax, NS, Canada. It is part of the Roman Catholic Church, a world-wide religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ, whose leader is the Pope in Rome. It was founded in 1784 and given the name St. Peter's Church shortly after the repeal of Catholic penal laws allowed Catholics freedom of worship in Nova Scotia. In 1829 this wooden church was replaced by a stone cathedral and the name was changed to St. Mary's Cathedral. In 1950, St. Mary's Cathedral was elevated to the status of a minor basilica. In 1997, it was recognized as a national historic site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. In addition to being the parish for a community of Irish Catholic immigrants, St. Mary's Basilica also functioned as the headquarters for the Catholic Church in Nova Scotia in its early history. The first resident priest was Rev. Edmund Burke, sent to Halifax in 1801 by the Archbishop of Quebec to lead the faithful Catholics of Nova Scotia. Rev. Burke began to keep records of the activities of this Church, including its finances, minutes of meetings, and who received the sacraments of baptism, marriage and burial.

Financial support for the priests' living and working expenses was provided through contributions made upon the receipt of a sacrament or service such as baptism, or sick call visits (stole fees). These contributions were carefully recorded. In 1843, the parish formed a committee, raised funds, and built a new cemetery and chapel called the Cemetery of the Holy Cross and Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel, under the leadership of Bishop William Walsh. To promote holiness among the people, the priests of St. Mary's Cathedral encouraged Catholics to join a parish club or society. Some societies were social or spiritual in nature such as the Holy Name Society and the St. Mary's and St. Patrick's Temperance Society, while others helped to carry out the work of the Church, like the St. Peter's Singing Society (which became the St. Mary's Cathedral Choir), or the St. Mary's Catechistical Society.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

Fonds consists of: Series - Architectural plans and land surveys, Series - Cemetery of the Holy Cross records, Series - Confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel records, Series - Financial records, Series - Holy Name Society of St. Mary's Cathedral records, Series - Metropolitan Chapter of St. Mary's records, Series - Minutes, Series - Parish Bulletins, Series - St. Mary's and St. Patrick's Temperance Society records, Series - St. Mary's Catechistical Society of Halifax records, Series - Sacramental registers, Series - Sermons, Series - Sick call books, Series - Society for the Propagation of the Faith records, Series - Sunday announcement books, Series - St. Peter's Singing Society records, Series - St. Mary's Young Men's Benevolent Society, Series - St. Mary's Cathedral School

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Acquired from St. Mary's Basilica over a number of years. Most were transferred pre-1990. Other transfers occurred in 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, and 2000.


Original order of records was maintained despite multiple accruals because the records are in bound volumes.

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Note de langue et graphie

Some records are in Latin.

Localisation des originaux

Retrieval nos.: 994-14, 995-51, 995-93, 995-94, 997-1, 997-3, 999-1, 999-7, 999-12, 999-28, 000-6, 002-18.

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Sacramental registers available on microfilm at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Family Centres (the Mormons).

Restrictions d'accès

For records not microfilmed, access is by appointment.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Photocopying for research purposes is not permitted.

Instruments de recherche

Éléments associés

See also the various Bishops' papers.

Éléments associés


Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé


Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle


Zone des entrées