Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Mary's College fonds : [1999 accrual]
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Saint Mary's University (Halifax, N.S.)
Physical description area
17 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Mary's College was founded in 1802 by Rev. Edmund Burke, Vicar-General of Nova Scotia, at Halifax, N.S. Provincial regulations restricted denominational schools, however Burke managed to provide informal Catholic education until his death in 1820. In 1839 the Province allowed denominational schools and classes to begin at St. Mary's College in 1840. On 29 March 1841 an act was passed to incorporate the Trustees of St. Mary's College and granted the school degree-conferring powers and by the mid 1850s the College and High School began a separate existence. By 1870 the College was administered by the Archdiocese of Halifax as a College of the newly incorporated "University of Halifax," which existed only until 1881. By this time St. Mary's was suffering from a lack of funding and was forced to suspend operations until 1903. In 1903 the College reopened, due largely to the work of Archbishop. At this time the faculty included a number of laymen. By 1912 the College was taken over by the Christian Brothers of Ireland who remained in charge until the Jesuits arrived in 1940 and assumed administration for the school. In 1951, St. Mary's College and St. Mary's High School moved to the McNally building on the Collins estate at Gorsebrook. In 1952 the name was changed to Saint Mary's University. Ten years later a university corporation was established and, although the institution was still considered part of the Archbishop's responsibilities, a relatively autonomous Board of Governors was formed. A completely new Saint Mary's University Act was passed in 1970 which provided for a new Board of Governors. It also provided for the complete autonomy of the University from the Archdiocese.
Custodial history is unknown. Most records prior to 1970 were retained by the previous administrations and are held in their collections.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of one admission register (1913-1935), closing exercises invitation and program (1872, 1880), correspondence with the Department of Veteran Affairs (1946-1948), examination results (1913-1929), graduate meetings minute book (1932-1935), guest book (1941?), joint societies banquet program (1935), laying of the cornerstone invitation (1950), lists of administration (1840, 1856, 1859, 1870, 1880), lists of students (1863-1876, 1920-1929, 1944-1950), President Smith's installation article (1943), prospectus (185?), and roll book (1913).
The Tatler, Collegian, and Collegian yearbook have been separated from the series for conservation purposes.
Immediate source of acquisition
Records received with no apparent order. Alphabetical arrangement imposed by the archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Related photographs are catalogued on the Photograph Database.
Further accruals are not expected.
All College publications which continued being produced by the university have been described under the university body responsible for those publications. The Journal and Santamarian have been described under the Saint Mary's University Students' Association fonds. The Academic Calendar has been described under the Saint Mary's University Registrar's/Records Office fonds.