St. Paul's Residence for Girls

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Paul's Residence for Girls

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



Originally called the St. Paul's Alms House of Industry for Girls, the institution was founded in January 1867 by members of St. Paul's Church of Halifax, N.S. Incorporated on 3 May 1887, the institution was established for the 'protection, training, and instruction of poor or friendless female children' belonging to the parish who were generally between the ages of ten and fourteen. A house at 14 Tower Road was rented and opened on 1 May 1867, staffed with a matron and later a teacher. By 1892, the home was opened to children of other Anglican churches in Halifax and Dartmouth. In May 1903, its name changed to the St. Paul's Home for Girls. Under Nova Scotia's Act for the Protection and Reformation of Neglected Children of 1906, St. Paul's Home for Girls became one of the Children's Aid Societies of the province. In May 1970 the home was re-named St. Paul's Residence for Girls with its new function as a rooming house for single girls who were students or working. By September 1972 the home was also used as a half-way house for older blind youths from the Halifax School for the Blind. Since its early years, the institution was managed by a committee of men and women, initially members of St. Paul's congregation.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places