St. Paul's Residence for Girls fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Paul's Residence for Girls fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

MG 20, vol. 1325-1333 (use microfilm reels 9,834-9,835; 9,839 for vol. 1325-1328)

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1867-1983, predominant 1867-1976 (Creation)
    St. Paul's Residence for Girls

Physical description area

Physical description

0.9 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Originally called the St. Paul's Alms House of Industry for Girls, the institution was founded in January 1867 by members of St. Paul's Church of Halifax, N.S. Incorporated on 3 May 1887, the institution was established for the 'protection, training, and instruction of poor or friendless female children' belonging to the parish who were generally between the ages of ten and fourteen. A house at 14 Tower Road was rented and opened on 1 May 1867, staffed with a matron and later a teacher. By 1892, the home was opened to children of other Anglican churches in Halifax and Dartmouth. In May 1903, its name changed to the St. Paul's Home for Girls. Under Nova Scotia's Act for the Protection and Reformation of Neglected Children of 1906, St. Paul's Home for Girls became one of the Children's Aid Societies of the province. In May 1970 the home was re-named St. Paul's Residence for Girls with its new function as a rooming house for single girls who were students or working. By September 1972 the home was also used as a half-way house for older blind youths from the Halifax School for the Blind. Since its early years, the institution was managed by a committee of men and women, initially members of St. Paul's congregation.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of minutes of monthly and annual committee meetings, 1867-1973, and ladies committee meetings, 1953-1967; registry books listing admissions and discharges, 1879, 1899-1965; record book of donations, 1882-1891, 1950-1951; correspondence, [192-], 1950-1976; cash books, 1904-1957; receipts, 1874-1879; visitor's register, 1982; and case files. Also includes a typewritten summary of committee meeting minutes from 1867 to 1973 with relevant appendices, entitled "Minutes in Time", which was prepared by Frank Kempster in 1983.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Deposited on permanent loan by the residence in 1980.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Microfilm copy of minutes available.

Restrictions on access

Access to case files in MG 1, vol. 1331 closed until 1 January 2023.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Other records relating to benevolent institutions for youth are found in the Ladies' Committee of the Halifax Protestant Orphans' Home fonds (MG 20, Vols. 417-419) and the Halifax Infants' Home fonds.

Related materials


General note

Formerly known as the Saint Paul's Alms House of Industry for Girls collection.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres