Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Paul's Residence for Girls fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1867-1983, predominant 1867-1976 (Creation)
- St. Paul's Residence for Girls
Physical description area
0.9 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Originally called the St. Paul's Alms House of Industry for Girls, the institution was founded in January 1867 by members of St. Paul's Church of Halifax, N.S. Incorporated on 3 May 1887, the institution was established for the 'protection, training, and instruction of poor or friendless female children' belonging to the parish who were generally between the ages of ten and fourteen. A house at 14 Tower Road was rented and opened on 1 May 1867, staffed with a matron and later a teacher. By 1892, the home was opened to children of other Anglican churches in Halifax and Dartmouth. In May 1903, its name changed to the St. Paul's Home for Girls. Under Nova Scotia's Act for the Protection and Reformation of Neglected Children of 1906, St. Paul's Home for Girls became one of the Children's Aid Societies of the province. In May 1970 the home was re-named St. Paul's Residence for Girls with its new function as a rooming house for single girls who were students or working. By September 1972 the home was also used as a half-way house for older blind youths from the Halifax School for the Blind. Since its early years, the institution was managed by a committee of men and women, initially members of St. Paul's congregation.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minutes of monthly and annual committee meetings, 1867-1973, and ladies committee meetings, 1953-1967; registry books listing admissions and discharges, 1879, 1899-1965; record book of donations, 1882-1891, 1950-1951; correspondence, [192-], 1950-1976; cash books, 1904-1957; receipts, 1874-1879; visitor's register, 1982; and case files. Also includes a typewritten summary of committee meeting minutes from 1867 to 1973 with relevant appendices, entitled "Minutes in Time", which was prepared by Frank Kempster in 1983.
Immediate source of acquisition
Deposited on permanent loan by the residence in 1980.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of minutes available.
Restrictions on access
Access to case files in MG 1, vol. 1331 closed until 1 January 2023.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available.
Other records relating to benevolent institutions for youth are found in the Ladies' Committee of the Halifax Protestant Orphans' Home fonds (MG 20, Vols. 417-419) and the Halifax Infants' Home fonds.
Formerly known as the Saint Paul's Alms House of Industry for Girls collection.