Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité
St. Paul's Residence for Girls fonds
Dénomination générale des documents
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
Niveau de description
Zone de l'édition
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
Zone des dates de production
1867-1983, predominant 1867-1976 (Production)
- St. Paul's Residence for Girls
Zone de description matérielle
0.9 m of textual records
Zone de la collection
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Zone de la description archivistique
Nom du producteur
Originally called the St. Paul's Alms House of Industry for Girls, the institution was founded in January 1867 by members of St. Paul's Church of Halifax, N.S. Incorporated on 3 May 1887, the institution was established for the 'protection, training, and instruction of poor or friendless female children' belonging to the parish who were generally between the ages of ten and fourteen. A house at 14 Tower Road was rented and opened on 1 May 1867, staffed with a matron and later a teacher. By 1892, the home was opened to children of other Anglican churches in Halifax and Dartmouth. In May 1903, its name changed to the St. Paul's Home for Girls. Under Nova Scotia's Act for the Protection and Reformation of Neglected Children of 1906, St. Paul's Home for Girls became one of the Children's Aid Societies of the province. In May 1970 the home was re-named St. Paul's Residence for Girls with its new function as a rooming house for single girls who were students or working. By September 1972 the home was also used as a half-way house for older blind youths from the Halifax School for the Blind. Since its early years, the institution was managed by a committee of men and women, initially members of St. Paul's congregation.
Historique de la conservation
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists of minutes of monthly and annual committee meetings, 1867-1973, and ladies committee meetings, 1953-1967; registry books listing admissions and discharges, 1879, 1899-1965; record book of donations, 1882-1891, 1950-1951; correspondence, [192-], 1950-1976; cash books, 1904-1957; receipts, 1874-1879; visitor's register, 1982; and case files. Also includes a typewritten summary of committee meeting minutes from 1867 to 1973 with relevant appendices, entitled "Minutes in Time", which was prepared by Frank Kempster in 1983.
Zone des notes
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Deposited on permanent loan by the residence in 1980.
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
Microfilm copy of minutes available.
Access to case files in MG 1, vol. 1331 closed until 1 January 2023.
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Instruments de recherche
File list available.
Other records relating to benevolent institutions for youth are found in the Ladies' Committee of the Halifax Protestant Orphans' Home fonds (MG 20, Vols. 417-419) and the Halifax Infants' Home fonds.
Formerly known as the Saint Paul's Alms House of Industry for Girls collection.