Sterling Hotel fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sterling Hotel fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1901-1906 (Creation)
    Creator
    Sterling Hotel

Physical description area

Physical description

6 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Sterling Hotel was founded at Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia in 1832 by William McConnell, a native of Galway, Ireland. It was located on Main Street, facing the river. Following McConnell, the hotel passed through numerous owners: Charles D. McCurdy, Mr. Copp in 1848, Mrs. Talbot, James Blair in 1860, James Morrison, Misses Murdock, Miss Rodd, Archibald MacKenzie, Timothy McLellan, Henry McLellan, Clarence Lockerby, Harold Cassidy, Francis Moss and the final owner was Donnie MacKay. The building was torn down in 1964 by Milo Weatherby. The hotel was a well known stop for merchants, peddlers, entertainers and medicine shows. Often traveling salespeople set up displays of their goods for residents and local merchants to view and even order.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of three hotel registers, which recorded the guests' name and residence. Occasionally merchants or entertainers would sign their name and some information about their product or show as a form of advertisement in the register. Pages have been torn out of the 1903 register.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Hotel registers were donated by Barbara Frotten, the daughter of Clarence Lockerby, a former owner.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Records can be found with the business records collection in the back closet.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area