Thomas G. Nicol fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Thomas G. Nicol fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

MBMS-22

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [1895]-[1926] (Creation)
    Creator
    Nicol, Thomas G.

Physical description area

Physical description

13 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1852-1931)

Biographical history

Thomas G. Nicol was born in Scotland in 1852. In 1878 he married Emma C. Schnare (1855-1940) in Bridgewater. The couple had five children. Nichol worked initially as a millwright, first arriving in Mahone Bay to build a mill for the Kedy brothers. He then established his own box factory and planing mill. In 1886 he was appointed as one of the trustees responsible for the construction of a Mahone Bay Exhibition Building. In 1893 he became a partner in the Gold River Lumber Co. He was also very active as a pioneer in electric-power generation and distribution, establishing a plant on the Mush-a-Mush River at Clearland, which he sold to the Lunenburg Gas Co. Ltd. in 1898. In 1902, he built a generating station in Oakland designed to provide power for electric lighting in Mahone Bay, selling the plant to the town several years later. As well, Nicol developed power-generating operations in Shelburne County. In 1926 he funded the construction of the Knox Presbyterian Church (later the Calvary Temple) in Mahone Bay. Nicol died at Mahone Bay in 1931.

Custodial history

The photographs were donated to the Mahone Bay Museum in 2006 by Alexander M. McDonald (accessions 2006.1: 06.01.01--06.01.09). Additional copy prints were found in the Mahone Bay Museum archival backlog.

Scope and content

Fonds comprises 8 copy prints (plus 4 duplicates) of photographs and one original photograph. The copy prints depict Nicol’s power-generating operations and construction projects, Nicol family homes, and the Knox Presbyterian church. The original photo is a portrait of Thomas and Emma (Schnare) Nicol.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item-level finding aid is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres