Title and statement of responsibility area
Thorndean Heritage Limited fonds
General material designation
- Architectural drawing
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2 boxes of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Thorndean Heritage Limited was founded in 1975, as a small, self-managed condominium association with the dual aim of administration of the living arrangements of the shareholder-tenants and preservation of Thorndean House, a provincially and municipally registered Heritage Property (as of 12/11/1981). Thorndean is located at 5680-82 Inglis Street in the south end of Halifax, Nova Scotia and is recognized for its Georgian architectural features and the historical life of its early owners.
Thorndean was built in 1835 for John Tremaine, a merchant and Loyalist who came to Halifax in 1785 to escape the American Revolution. Tremaine sold the house to James Forman, who was the first cashier at the Bank of Nova Scotia. In 1870 Forman was discovered to have embezzled over $300,000 from the bank during the twenty-five years he worked there. To repay the bank Forman signed over Thorndean and all its contents to be auctioned. The estate was purchased by John S. Maclean, a Halifax merchant and ship owner, and at the time the president of the Bank of Nova Scotia.
Early occupants/company officers were Mr. James R. Lotz, President; Ms. Margaret Jordan as Vice-President, Dr. J. Patricia Beresford as Secretary, and Mr. David Miller as Treasurer.Built in 1835 by James Forman, Thorndean House underwent major renovations in 2010. Mrs. Patricia Lotz has conducted research into the history of Thorndean House.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the Thorndean Heritage Ltd. condominium company documenting the changes and maintenance of the building,and historical research files about the heritage home and its former occupants. Contains annual general meeting minutes, correspondence, invoices, estimates, architectural/technical drawings and ca. 2010 renovation report, documents surrounding the initial purchase of shares in the company by James & Patricia Lotz,cartographic materials and Pam Lotz's research file of copies of photographs that mainly depict the house and its builder the Forman family, and its previous owners and their relatives. There is also a video recording of a MITV Channel 6 Inside Metro 1991 Hallowe'en feature by Steve Bone on Metro area ghosts, featuring Thorndean and co-owners Jim Lotz and Maud Rosinski.
Immediate source of acquisition
Files were donated in 2013 by Mr. James Lotz, president of the condominium association.
Files are arranged chronologically by year.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Includes photographs and a digital video-recording. Most of the included photographs are reproductions. Video was digitized from T-120 VHS cassette to .avi and .mpg files