Tower Road School

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Tower Road School

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • TRS

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

August 30, 1875 - 1999

History

Tower Road School (TRS) first opened on August 30, 1875 at the intersection of Tower Road and Inglis Street in the South End of Halifax, Nova Scotia. The first school house was a small wooden building and initially educated elementary-aged children in the general vicinity of the school, an area of upper-class economic status with families of Western European descent. In 1912 a larger, brick building was constructed adjacent to the original school and classes were transferred to this site on December 18. In the aftermath of the Halifax Explosion of 1917, displaced students from North End schools which had suffered extensive damage were temporarily transferred to TRS. Beginning in the 1930s the student body became more diversified with the addition of pupils from across Canada, the United States, Europe, South America, Asia, and Africa. This diversity became a key focus of the school’s identity and curriculum. The first record of the TRS Home and School Association (HSA, the predecessor of the TRS Parent Teacher Association) dates from 1944. The HSA raised funds and organized sports teams for both male and female students. The HSA also actively pushed for higher standards of road safety around TRS and infrastructure repairs of the TRS building and grounds. By the 1970s, the HSA had become less active. The earliest record of the reformation of the HSA into the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) dates to 1972. By the 1980s, the PTA had once again become an active part of the TRS community by organizing various fund raisers and special events. In 1993 the Halifax School Board considered closing TRS, as the school building was deemed obsolete to the point of being irreparable. While the PTA was active in opposing such closure efforts, the School Board ultimately decided to close the school permanently in 1999. Upon its closure in 2000, the TRS building was sold to the Halifax Grammar School (HGS) and made part of the HGS campus. Students enrolled at the time continued their studies at Inglis Street Elementary School, formerly St. Francis School.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

HRM Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Halifax Grammar School. (2008). Our History. Retrieved May 8, 2008 from http://www.hgs.ns.ca/aboutus.asp?cmPageID=97
Tratt, G. E. (1975). The centennial history of Tower Road School, 1875-1975. Halifax: Halifax Board of School Commissioners.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places