Trustees of School Section Number 13 (New Annan, N.S.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Trustees of School Section Number 13 (New Annan, N.S.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1872-1967 (Creation)
    Creator
    Trustees of School Section Number 13 (New Annan, Colchester County, N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

31 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1864-)

Administrative history

In 1864, the Nova Scotian government introduced a new Education Act, establishing Nova Scotia's "free"school system. Pursuant to the Education Act, the jursidictions of Nova Scotia's regional Boards of School Commissioners were clarified and confirmed. These jurisdictions, identified in the new Act as "school districts", were based, in most cases, on county boundaries. The school districts were, in turn, divided into school sections, with each sections being responsible for establishing and maintaining a school, the operation of which was to be overseen by a board of trustees. Trustees were elected for three year terms at annual meetings of a school section's ratepayers and were responsible for holding all school property, employing and maintaining teachers, making regular visits to the school, looking after school facilities and equipment, summoning regular meetings of the ratepayers of the school section, filing returns with the divisional inspector, making arrangements for the conveyance of pupils, and, in later years, enforcing the Public Health Act. The first teacher in New Annan, Colchester County, N.S. was John Currie, who began teaching in 1820. He was succeeded by John Bonnyman circa 1860. The 1861 census states that there were six school houses in the New Annan area. Following the passing the Education Act in 1864, it appears that a member of the Byers family, a prominent local family, donated land for the construction of the new school. In 1926 Byers School Section 13 became part of the District of North Colchester.

Custodial history

Records were donated by Joyce MacCall, Tatamagouche in 1990.

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area