Title and statement of responsibility area
Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Accession number 2013.065
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1945-1999] (Creation)
- Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital
Physical description area
38 photographs, 2 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The hospital in Musquodoboit Harbour had been a dream envisioned by locals since the mid 1940s, an idea behind which P. H. Weary and the local branch of the Red Cross were a driving force. The hospital was first incorporated in 1945 and meetings were held to discuss its construction. The official turning of the sod took place on July 5, 1948 and on June 8, 1950 the facility opened its doors as a nine bed Red Cross outpost hospital. The hospital was initially to be called the War Memorial Hospital but the 1945 Act to Incorporate the War Memorial Hospital, Musquodoboit Harbour, NS was amended in 1946, changing the name to Twin Oaks War Memorial Hospital. It was agreed that the provincial division of the Red Cross Society would equip and operate the facility as an outpost hospital, in a building that would be provided and maintained by the Twin Oaks War Memorial Hospital Corporation. The Musquodoboit Harbour branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society would be responsible for appointing a committee to supervise the operation of the hospital. Local businessman P.H. Weary was heavily involved with the Musquodoboit Harbour Hospital Committee from the beginning and served as president of the Twin Oaks Hospital executive committee in its early years. He was succeeded as president by W. S. Dickie around 1958.
The hospital served communities from Porters Lake to Tangier and was jointly owned by those communities. Around 1958, the Red Cross withdrew its support from the hospital and it was sustained by the community until the hospital was able to apply for government funding the following year.
In 1958 Twin Oaks was still operating as the original nine-bed facility. However, in 1976 a new facility was opened, and in 1984 it was a twenty-five bed accredited hospital offering a limited but essential range of service including acute and long term care. Its range had increased to include a service area spanning from Bell Road in Lake Echo to East Ship Harbour and north as far as Meaghers Grant.
Today Twin Oaks operates as a fourteen-bed facility offering a variety of services including an acupuncture clinic, palliative and respite services, acute care, outpatient care, emergency services, meals on wheels, nutrition counselling, social services, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, laboratory services, diabetic, foot, and acupuncture clinics; and diagnostic imaging services. It also hosts a number of tenant services such as addiction services, home care Nova Scotia, and Nova Scotia hearing and speech therapy. Today the hospital is also affiliated with The Birches Home for Special Care, a residential facility for seniors.
Donated by Danena ‘Ena’ Rowlings in 2013. Ena was formerly the president of the board of trustees of the Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of photocopies of records from the Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital. The records appear to have been reproduced as part of a display for the hospital, possibly created by Ena Rowlings. The records include correspondence, financial records, posters, policies, regulations, and mandates. Also included are original photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Eastern Shore Archives by Ena Rowlings.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventory with File list available.
Further accruals are expected.
The hospital was known by a number of names over the years, including the War Memorial Hospital, Twin Oaks War Memorial Red Cross Outpost Hospital, Twin Oaks Memorial Red Cross Hospital, Twin Oaks War Memorial Hospital, Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital.
A number of artefacts were included in this donation.
Includes: 38 photographs, 10 folders of textual records.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Digital object metadata