Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité
Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital fonds
Dénomination générale des documents
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
- Source du titre propre:
Niveau de description
Accession number 2013.065
Zone de l'édition
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
Zone des dates de production
[ca. 1945-1999] (Production)
- Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital
Zone de description matérielle
38 photographs, 2 cm of textual records
Zone de la collection
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Zone de la description archivistique
Nom du producteur
The hospital in Musquodoboit Harbour had been a dream envisioned by locals since the mid 1940s, an idea behind which P. H. Weary and the local branch of the Red Cross were a driving force. The hospital was first incorporated in 1945 and meetings were held to discuss its construction. The official turning of the sod took place on July 5, 1948 and on June 8, 1950 the facility opened its doors as a nine bed Red Cross outpost hospital. The hospital was initially to be called the War Memorial Hospital but the 1945 Act to Incorporate the War Memorial Hospital, Musquodoboit Harbour, NS was amended in 1946, changing the name to Twin Oaks War Memorial Hospital. It was agreed that the provincial division of the Red Cross Society would equip and operate the facility as an outpost hospital, in a building that would be provided and maintained by the Twin Oaks War Memorial Hospital Corporation. The Musquodoboit Harbour branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society would be responsible for appointing a committee to supervise the operation of the hospital. Local businessman P.H. Weary was heavily involved with the Musquodoboit Harbour Hospital Committee from the beginning and served as president of the Twin Oaks Hospital executive committee in its early years. He was succeeded as president by W. S. Dickie around 1958.
The hospital served communities from Porters Lake to Tangier and was jointly owned by those communities. Around 1958, the Red Cross withdrew its support from the hospital and it was sustained by the community until the hospital was able to apply for government funding the following year.
In 1958 Twin Oaks was still operating as the original nine-bed facility. However, in 1976 a new facility was opened, and in 1984 it was a twenty-five bed accredited hospital offering a limited but essential range of service including acute and long term care. Its range had increased to include a service area spanning from Bell Road in Lake Echo to East Ship Harbour and north as far as Meaghers Grant.
Today Twin Oaks operates as a fourteen-bed facility offering a variety of services including an acupuncture clinic, palliative and respite services, acute care, outpatient care, emergency services, meals on wheels, nutrition counselling, social services, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, laboratory services, diabetic, foot, and acupuncture clinics; and diagnostic imaging services. It also hosts a number of tenant services such as addiction services, home care Nova Scotia, and Nova Scotia hearing and speech therapy. Today the hospital is also affiliated with The Birches Home for Special Care, a residential facility for seniors.
Historique de la conservation
Donated by Danena ‘Ena’ Rowlings in 2013. Ena was formerly the president of the board of trustees of the Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital.
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists of photocopies of records from the Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital. The records appear to have been reproduced as part of a display for the hospital, possibly created by Ena Rowlings. The records include correspondence, financial records, posters, policies, regulations, and mandates. Also included are original photographs.
Zone des notes
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Donated to the Eastern Shore Archives by Ena Rowlings.
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Instruments de recherche
Inventory with File list available.
Further accruals are expected.
The hospital was known by a number of names over the years, including the War Memorial Hospital, Twin Oaks War Memorial Red Cross Outpost Hospital, Twin Oaks Memorial Red Cross Hospital, Twin Oaks War Memorial Hospital, Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital.
A number of artefacts were included in this donation.
Includes: 38 photographs, 10 folders of textual records.
Zone du numéro normalisé
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
Mots-clés - Genre
Zone du contrôle
Objet numérique - métadonnées
Nom du fichier
Type de support