Union Church (Lake Charlotte, N.S.) fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Union Church (Lake Charlotte, N.S.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Accession numbers 2004.015, 2009.044, and 2013.040

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1896-1966, [2009] (Creation)
    Creator
    Union Church (Lake Charlotte, N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1901)

Administrative history

The Union Church of Lake Charlotte, Halifax County, Nova Scotia was founded by a group of residents of the village of Lake Charlotte (then referred to as Lower Lakeville or Ship Harbour Lake), who first met to plan the building’s construction in 1896. The church was constructed between approximately 1898 and 1901 and was opened for worship on May 26, 1901. It was initially called the Union Mission House but the name was changed to Union Church in 1933. The church was built and intended to be used by members of different Christian denominations including Anglicans, Presbyterians, Baptists, and Roman Catholics. It was primarily used by the Anglicans and Presbyterians and later by the United Church of Canada, which is currently the only denomination still using the church. Money to erect and maintain the church building and grounds was raised through donations, subscriptions, collections, and various other means over the years such as picnics, suppers, pie and apron sales, garden parties, and card parties. In 1984 the church building and cemetery were taken over by the Lake Charlotte Union Church Cemetery Company. In 1994 a portion of the church was damaged by fire but it was repaired and subsequently rededicated on September 17, 1995.

Custodial history

The account book was with a number of other books belonging to Lake Charlotte Area Heritage Society member Ford Webber, many of which had belonged to his parents E.J. "Ned" Webber and Marguerite "Babe" (Grant) Webber. The book was transferred to the Eastern Shore Archives in 2004. The three reproductions of the minute books were copied and given to the Archives in 2009 by Clara Kidson, a long time member of the church. The originals are currently located at the Maritime Conference Archives in Sackville, New Brunswick. The original minute book contained in this fonds was donated by the Lake Charlotte United Church in 2012.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of the Union Church of Lake Charlotte, Halifax County, Nova Scotia and include account books and other financial records and minutes of meetings.

Included is an original account book detailing the annual list of individuals who contributed to the church, along with the amount paid to the minister. Cash disbursements and cash received are logged at the back of the book. Fonds also contains reproductions of three books containing the meeting minutes of the church dating from the first meeting in 1896 up until 1987. The books also record financial accounts of the church from 1896 to 1994, including cash disbursements and cash received. Also included with the books are reproductions of receipts and sheets of paper recording subscriptions for repairs to the church building, accounts, and other information.

Notes area

Physical condition

Original account book is fragile, covers have fallen off.

Immediate source of acquisition

The account book was donated by Ford Webber in 2004. The reproductions were donated by long time church member Clara Kidson in 2009. The minute book was donated by the Lake Charlotte United Church in 2012.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Original minute books and financial records, copies of which Clara Kidson donated to the Archives, are housed at the Maritime Conference Archives in Sackville, NB.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open to researchers without restriction.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Lake Charlotte Union Church also appears as a name of the Church in the fonds.

Physical description

Includes 5 volumes of textual records
1 folder of textual records

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area