Title and statement of responsibility area
University of King's College Architectural Records Collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1794 - (Creation)
Physical description area
958 architectural drawings, 3 scale models, 19 cartographic records, 0.5 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Scope and content
The collection consists of architectural records of five major architects or architectural firms who were commissioned by the University of King's College to design buildings for the University when it was located in Windsor, Nova Scotia, and after its move to its present location in Halifax. The collection includes cartographic drawings - mostly small published informational maps of the campus showing building locations - and some textual records relating to construction of the buildings, such as contracts, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and published articles relating to the University architects and buildings. There are gaps in the collection, as there have never been regular deposits of architectural records in the Archives.
Immediate source of acquisition
The records are arranged into series by architect in chronological order by date of first project built for King's. The series are: UKC.ARCH.l (Charles Inglis architectural drawings ( c.1794-c. l854)); UKC.ARCH.2 (R. A. Johnson architectural drawings (c.1919-1920)); UKC.ARCH.3 (Andrew R. Cobb architectural drawings (1920-1942)); UKC.ARCH.4 (J. Philip Dumaresq architectural drawings (1960-1978)); UKC.ARCH.5 (Duffus Romans Kundzins Rounsefell Ltd. architectural drawings (1985-2002)); UKC.ARCH.6 (G. E. C. Brown Architect Ltd. - NAB proposal 1983); UKC.ARCH.7 (Noel Fowler & Keith Graham Library proposal 1985); UKC.ARCH.8 (Library proposal/ unidentified architect (c.1983)); UKC.ARCH.9 (Reinhardt L. Petersmann landscape plans (1991-1996)); UKC.ARCH.C (Cartographic materials (1922-2008)); and UKC.ARCH.T (Architectural projects textual records).
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid for the University of Kings College Architectural Records Collection available on MemoryNS, as well as in-person in the King’s Library Archives.
Uploaded finding aid
Further Accruals expected, and accruals have occurred beyond the scope of the accompanying finding aid (post-2008).
The architectural history of the University of the University of King’s College is just as intricate as the history of the institution as a whole. The University of King's College was founded in Windsor, Nova Scotia, in 1789, by Anglican Loyalists who moved to the province after the American Revolution. King's, the oldest English-speaking Commonwealth university outside the United Kingdom, received its Royal Charter from King George III in 1802. From its humble beginning as a wooden college in Windsor, NS, to its main building burning down in 1920, to its subsequent relocation to Halifax and its current position adjacent to the larger campus of Dalhousie university, to the construction of the campus in the city and the buildings that have gone up since, the insight provided by the architectural drawings that comprise this collection provide invaluable insight about King’s.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- University of King's College (Subject)