Maritime School of Social Work fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Maritime School of Social Work fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UA-22

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

65 m of textual records. - 65 metres of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Maritime School of Social Work was incorporated in Halifax as an independent school in April 1941, becoming the fourth place of its kind in the country. It arose out of long recognized need for professionally educated social workers in the Maritime region. In 1949, the School moved to King’s College, where it remained until it found a home of its own at 150 Coburg Road. The School amalgamated with Dalhousie University in 1969, enabling those attending to benefit from the University’s graduate programs in fields allied with those of social work--mainly Sociology and Psychology.

Dr. Samuel Henry Prince was the School’s first director, adopting a lighthouse whose rays shine into the darkness as the official Maritime School of Social Work emblem—a symbol of what Dr. Prince called ‘the epitome of the two-fold character of all social service, prevention and rescue.’ L.T. Hancock took over as the first regular Director of the School in 1949, and held this position until 1973.

In July 1984, the School joined the Faculty of Health Professions with Fred Wein as its Director. Prior to this date, the School had come under the auspices of the Faculty of Administrative Studies.

The mandate of the School is to make social work education both geographically and academically accessible to human service workers, service networks, and other ed persons throughout the Maritimes. The School offers two degrees: a Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Social Work. The Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work (CASSW) accredits both degrees which are the only such degrees offered in Nova Scotia. While undertaking study, many students work on either a full or part-time basis in human service positions.

Custodial history

The bulk of the material was transferred from the Maritime School of Social Work in three major phases. The first transfer was made on December 11th, 1981, which included 120 feet of records covering the years 1941 to 1975 (Accession No. UA-22 107-81). The second transfer made on July 2nd, 1992, included 30 feet of textual material (Accession No. UA-22 34-92). The last phase occurred on May 16th, 2002 when 65 feet were relocated from the School to the University Archives. A large portion of the published material was acquired by the Archives through regular mailings received from the Maritime School of Social Work

Scope and content

The fonds consist of records that document the administrative and operational activities of the Maritime School of Social Work. These include general correspondence, committee minutes, financial records, reports, statistics, program information, course materials, examination records, newspaper clippings, memorabilia, photographs, as well as documentation of relationships with outside organizations.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

All records are administered in accordance with applicable federal and provincial Privacy and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation. Questions about access should be directed to the University Archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A database describing this collection is available in the Dalhousie University Archives for staff use only.

Associated materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

General note

Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Maritime School of Social Work fonds, UA-22, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

This fonds description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.

Accession area