Village of Arcadia Improvement Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Village of Arcadia Improvement Society fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1920-1958 (Creation)
    Creator
    Village of Arcadia Improvement Society (Arcadia, Yarmouth County, N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1922-)

Administrative history

Incorporated in 1922, the objectives of the Village of Arcadia Improvement Society in Nova Scotia, according to its Act of Incorporation were "to erect, construct, acquire, maintain and conduct a public hall; to erect and maintain a monument in memory of the soldiers from Arcadia who lost their lives in the service of the Empire in the Great War; to acquire real and personal property in Arcadia for the operation of an athletic ground, and maintain, manage and conduct such grounds; to acquire real and personal property or any interest therein, and to do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives." Many of these objectives were initiated by the Arcadia Women's Institute, but because that group could not legally own land or property, the Village Improvement was established. The cenotaph was erected in the early 1920's, marking the deaths of five local soldiers during the War and the community hall was established in 1923. The activities of the Society dwindled over the years, but it was reactivated in 1985.

Custodial history

These records were donated by Barbara White with the Arcadia Women's Institute fonds.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of minute book; bill and act of incorporation listing founding members, objectives and by-laws; release of mortgage on community hall; receipt for notarial services; copy of will of Wilfred C. Poole.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Y MS 3 86

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related records can be found in the Arcadia Women's Institute fonds, Y MS 3 86.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area