Title and statement of responsibility area
Grace Maternity Hospital fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1942 - 1955 (Creation)
- Grace Maternity Hospital
Physical description area
1.5 cm of textual records and graphic material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Grace Maternity Hospital had its beginnings as Harrow House, opened in 1906 by the Salvation Army as a residential maternity hospital for unmarried women. Dr. P.A. MacDonald served as medical superintendent and physicians volunteered their services. Following the 1917 Halifax Explosion, the need for a dedicated maternity institution for all women was recognized by the Halifax Medical Association, and Dalhousie University offered the Salvation Army both the land and the money to build and run the new hospital.
The Grace Maternity Hospital opened on 29 April 1922 as the only independent maternity hospital in Canada; it was affiliated as a teaching hospital with the Dalhousie's Department of Pediatrics. Located on the east side of Robie Street on the block bounded by University Avenue and College Street, it initially accommodated 65 mothers and babies. Major renovations were made in 1956, 1962, 1973 and 1977, after the Halifax Infirmary stopped taking maternity cases. By the 1970s the Grace occupied half a city block with 126 adult beds and 166 bassinets with 40 in the neo-natal intensive care unit (NICU). In 1992, the Izaak Walton Killam-Grace Health Centre for Children, Woman and Families (IWK-Grace) opened, amalgamating administrative and operational services between the two hospitals.
Records were accessioned by the Dalhousie University Archives in 1984. Custodial history is unknown.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of reports, statistics, and photographs of the hospital.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- IWK Health Centre. (Subject)
Genre access points
Description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.