School registers for Birch Hill

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

School registers for Birch Hill

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Série organique

Cote

2023.1.1440 - 2023.1.1453

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1934-1959 (missing: 1935-1937, 1938-1940, 1941-1948) (Production)
    Producteur
    Nova Scotia Department of Education

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

5cm of textual records
(original school registers)

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1850-)

Histoire administrative

In 1850, J. W. Dawson was appointed as the first superintendent of education for the province of Nova Scotia. During his tenure, Dawson encouraged the establishment of free schools. In 1855, Dawson’s successor, Alexander Forrester, established the Provincial Normal College in Truro, for the training of public school teachers and the standardization of school curriculum. The Free School Act of 1864, introduced by Premier Charles Tupper, created a system of free public schools throughout the province. The Education Act of 1864 assigned a school inspector to each of the 18 counties. The act also increased state funding and encouraged local taxation to support public schools, and standardized the classification and examination of students. Over the next hundred years, public school attendance registers fell under the authority of the Halifax-based office variously known as the Educational Department of Nova Scotia (-1894), the Education Department of Nova Scotia (1894-1929), the Nova Scotia Department of Education (1929-1967), and the Minister of Education (1967-). Today, the Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, as it is known, is responsible for K-12 public school education throughout the province.

Historique de la conservation

160 bankers boxes of school registers were transferred from the Nova Scotia Archives to the Colchester Historical Society in 1999. A small number of additional school registers have been donated throughout the years from various sources.

Portée et contenu

Series forms part of the Colchester County school registers fonds and consists of 14 school registers for Birch Hill School, from 1934-1959 (missing: 1935-1937, 1938-1940, 1941-1948). Most registers measure 28x44cm or 26x38cm and contain 10-20 pages, though in some cases, only a few pages remain. Registers generally include a list of students' names, along with their sex, age, address, parent or guardians' names, as well as a record of attendance and general standing. Registers have been printed by the Nova Scotia Department of Education and data has been handwritten by the schoolteacher.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Arrangement is chronological and imposed by archivist.

Langue des documents

    Écriture des documents

      Localisation des originaux

      Disponibilité d'autres formats

      High resolution images may be available for registers 100 years or older. Contact Colchester Historical Society.

      Restrictions d'accès

      School registers 100 years and older are considered open, and are accessible to the public. School registers less than 100 years old are considered restricted, and access may be permitted on a case-by-case basis, by request only. Contact Colchester Historical Society for more information.

      Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

      Instruments de recherche

      Box SR59

      Éléments associés

      Éléments associés

      Accroissements

      Further accruals are possible.

      Note générale

      The first school in Birch Hill stood on the south side of Cloverdale Road, on a hill known as Schoolhouse Hill. In 1866, a new school was built north of the old one, on land donated by Adams and Alice Fisher. The school served Birch Hill and Cloverdale until 1959, at which time students were bused to Middle Stewiacke Consolidated School. The building was subsequently used as a community centre.

      SOURCE:

      Middle Stewiacke, Birch Hill, Cloverdale, and Mosquito Cove. Dianne Geddes, 2016.

      Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

      Numéro normalisé

      Numéro normalisé

      Mots-clés

      Mots-clés - Sujets

      Mots-clés - Lieux

      Mots-clés - Noms

      Mots-clés - Genre

      Zone du contrôle

      Sources

      Zone des entrées