Title and statement of responsibility area
Garth M. Hosking General Store fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Garth M. Hosking General Store
- Oyster Pond (N.S)
Physical description area
5.05 m of textual records, 2 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The business that in later years was called the Garth M. Hosking General Store was established in 1891 by Mrs. Flora (Henry) Mitchell (1853-1918) who opened a store in her home in Oyster Pond, Halifax County, Nova Scotia. Flora was the widow of John Duncan Mitchell (1840-1885) and was addressed as Mrs. J.D. Mitchell, but used F. Mitchell in her store stationery. The store was known locally as “Flowie Dunc’s” or “Mrs. J.D.’s”. In 1894 the business was moved from the home to a new building in Oyster Pond, where it remained until it closed.
During the 1900s, Flora Mitchell began passing store responsibilities to her son William Mose Ogle “Willie O” Mitchell (1881-1949) and daughter Roxanna “Roxie” Ethel (Mitchell) Hosking (1877-1941). After Flora’s death in 1918, William was the primary shopkeeper. During this time, stationery for the store used the name W.M.O. Mitchell, General Dealer but locally the store was known as “Mitchell’s” or “Willie O’s”. During the 1920s, Roxanna and her husband Frederick William Hosking (1874-1931) also ran an ice cream parlour on the second floor of the store. W.M.O. Mitchell also sold gas via hand cranked pumps, but this was phased out after Roxanna’s son Garth Merdon Leon Hosking (1912-1994) opened the Hosking’s Garage nearby in the late 1930s.
After the death of W.M.O. Mitchell on August 27, 1949, the store came under the ownership of Garth Hosking. Under Hosking’s ownership the store stationery used the name Garth M. Hosking General Store, and was known as the Hosking General Store or simply the Hosking Store. The store was operated primarily by Garth’s wife Mildred Edna (Roberts) Hosking (1916-2009) until it closed around 1975.
Records remained in the custody of the Mitchell and Hosking families until the Store was dismantled by the Lake Charlotte Area Heritage Society in 1995. The records were then transferred several times to different storage locations under the supervision of the Society. The records remained in basement storage (with dehumidifier) for approximately five years before being transferred to their final storage in the Eastern Shore Archives in 2003.
Some invoices (accession number 2010.008) were located at the residence of Garth and Mildred Hosking, and were transferred to the Archives by their daughter Elaine Dooks in 2007.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the store that in later years was called the Garth M. Hosking General Store.
Most records smell heavily of mildew and some records have strong diesel smell. Researchers and staff are advised to use gloves and masks to protect against mould contamination.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Mildred Hosking in 1995 as part of the contents of the Store building. Some invoices (accession number 2010.008) were donated in 2007 by Garth and Mildred Hoskings daughter Elaine Dooks.
Records which arrived separately from the main 2003 accession (2003.011) are arranged separately.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals are expected.
The store is also known as Hosking General Store, Hosking’s General Store, Hosking Store, and Hosking’s Store.
Eight wartime posters accessioned as 2013.025 and had been included in this fonds, but were traded to the Canadian War Museum in 2016, as they were examples that the museum did not already have in its collection. In exchange, the Eastern Shore Archives received a number of original WWII posters, of which the Canadian War Museum had duplicates. These posters are now accessioned as 2017.007 but are not part of this fonds.
Includes: 183 folders of textual records, 25 books, 2 photographs
Standard number area
Genre access points
Eastern Shore families: Head of Jeddore / Robert Kim Stevens. – Lake Charlotte: Maritime Imprints, 2001.
“Hosking (Roberts), Mildred Edna”. Chronicle Herald. 28 Jan. 2010 http://jobspress.com/announcements/obituaries/hosking-roberts-mildred-edna-%E2%80%94-93-oyster-pond
Memories of Oyster Pond's Village Store: 1891-1975 / Memory Lane Heritage Village, Lake Charlotte, Nova Scotia. – (Community Memories / Virtual Museum of Canada). 27 Jan. 2010 http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm.php?id=exhibit_home&fl=0&lg=English&ex=00000291